Here is a great recipe for meatless Shepherd’s Pie, and if you don’t tell them… they’ll never know it’s not made with meat.
45 min prep / 1 hour 10 min cooking / Serves 6
You will need:
- 10-12 Potatoes, medium,
- 200ml Coconut milk
- 2 tbspn Olive oil
- 150g Onion, diced
- 1 tbsp Garlic, minced
- 200g Carrots, ½” finely chopped or cubed
- 100g Celery, sliced thin
- 100g Red pepper, diced
- 100g Mushrooms, sliced thin
- 2 lbs Tofu, extra firm, crumbled
- 175g Peas
- 150g green beans chopped
- 50g Tahini
- 5 tsp Soya sauce or a wheat free tamari sauce
- 2 tbsp Basil, fresh, minced (1 ½ tsp dry)
- 2 tbsp Parsley, fresh, minced
- 1 ½ tsp Sea salt, or to taste
- 1 tbsp Thyme, fresh minced (½ tsp dry)
- 1 tsp Sage, fresh minced (½ tsp dry)
- 2 tsp Sweet freedom or other sweetener
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper, ground to taste
- A pinch of chilli powder
- ¼ tsp Cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 tbsp brown sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bring potatoes to the boil and cook until potatoes are soft, approximately 15 minutes. Drain well, place in a large mixing bowl with your choice of ‘milk’ and mash well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- While potatoes are cooking, saute the onion and garlic in the oil on medium heat , cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add carrots, celery, bell pepper and mushrooms, cook for further 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add a little water or extra soya or tamari sauce if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Add tofu and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Place everything except the potatoes into a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Now place this mixture in an 9″x13″ casserole dish.
- Place the mashed potato on top and gently fork over to cover the top completely.
- Bake until slightly golden brown and completely cooked, approximately 25 minutes.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes.
Serving suggestion: Serve with Mushroom Gravy (see below).
10 min prep / 15 min cooking
You will need:
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 medium Onion, ¼” diced
- 150g Shiitake mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1½ Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 450ml vegetable stock or bouillon
- 50ml or Soya sauce or a wheat free tamari sauce to taste
- Pinch Cayenne pepper
- Pinch Paprika
- Create a Roux by placing spelt flour in a small bowl. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp water and whisk until a thick paste is created. Set aside.
- Place 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a large saute pan on medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic, cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients except roux mixture and cook for 5 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add roux mixture and cook until gravy has a thick consistency, approximately 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
And there you have it, the best Shepherdless Pie, suitable for everyone!