Goodness Dark Green Speckled Lentils. Green-blue marble in colour with a peppery tasteAverage Reviews Customer Reviews Write Review
A small slate-green lentil with a delicate blue marbling. Puy lentils are considered by many to be the best lentil because of their unique peppery flavour and the fact they hold their shape during cooking. They're the only lentil to be identified by area of cultivation - grown in the Le Puy region of France.
Serve them hot or cold as a salad starter or as an accompaniment to poultry, meat or fish dishes, or use them in soups or casseroles.
The delicate peppery overtones taste sensational and the texture is wonderful when cooked. Ideal as a side, in a soup , as a one pot vegetarian meal or as a salad. Firmer than other lentils.
Soak overnight. Simmer gently for 30-40 minutes until tender.
Dark green speckled lentils
per 100g: Energy1264kj/297kcal, Protein 24.3g, Carbohydrate 48.8g, of which sugars 1.2g, Fat 1.9g, of which saturates 0.2g, Fibre 8.9g, Salt under 0.1g.
Packed on a line which also handles peanuts, nuts, sesame, soya, milk, sulphur dioxide and cereals containing gluten.
Chicken and Puy lentil salad with coriander
2 large or 4 small chicken breasts, skinned
1 tbsp whole coriander seeds, toasted and ground
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed or grated
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, juice only
5 tbsp olive oil
225g/8oz Puy lentils
3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (stalks and leaves)
100g/4oz mixed salad leaves, such as rocket, baby beetroot, baby spinach and frisée
100g/4oz feta cheese, crumbled
dash of balsamic vinegar
Preparation time 30 mins to 1 hour
Cooking time 30 mins to 1 hour
1.Using a sharp knife, make a few long shallow incisions on both sides of the chicken breasts.
2. Place the chicken in a bowl and add the ground coriander, garlic, a pinch of black pepper, two tablespoons of lemon juice and two tablespoons of the olive oil. Mix the marinade with the chicken in a bowl, making sure all the meat is evenly coated in the marinade. Allow to sit for about 30 minutes (or one hour if you have the time).
3. Preheat the oven to 230C/450F/Gas 8.
4. When the oven is hot, spread the chicken out on a baking tray and cook it for 15-30 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts. To ensure the chicken is cooked through, cut into the breast with a knife. Once cooked, take the chicken out of the oven and allow it to rest for a couple of minutes.
5. Meanwhile, place the still-warm lentils in a saucepan, cover with water and boil for about 20 minutes, until cooked through.
6. When cooked, drain the lentils then dress them with the remaining olive oil, lemon juice and chopped coriander, and season with salt and pepper.
7. To serve, slice the chicken thinly and toss with the lentils (they can be still warm) and the mixed salad leaves. Place on plates or in a large bowl and sprinkle with the crumbled feta and a small drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
Wholesome Goodness Dark Green Speckled Lentils can be cooked on its own or with different rices, or with an array of or individual vegetables eg, spinach, potatoes (whatever one desires). Adding different herbs/spices oils, condiments and different types of milks/creams gives it beautiful textures and taste, versatile and perfect nourishment for all occasions.
Reviewer's Name: Lalita B
Delicious nutty little lentils great in salads, curries and pates
Reviewer's Name: Mrs C McGlashan
Used these in my delicious pasta dish last night and they were very good.
Reviewer's Name: Layla Talbi
These sprout nicely into very light and fresh-flavoured little sprouts, perfect for salads and sandwiches. I also love these sprouts as a finishing touch to tomato based soups - sprinkle a generous handful on top, stir in and dig in. Even converted some sprout sceptics with that idea :) also makes a hearty addition to soup cooked from dry, and takes on flavours well so it's brilliant for vegetable curry.
Reviewer's Name: Maddy
As ever, these are good quality beans from the Goodness line. Would recommend.
Reviewer's Name: Miss A M Hobbs
|Biona Organic Chopped Tomatoes in Tomato Juice 400g|
Organic tomatoes chopped and peeled in rich tomato juice
Gluten Free/Casein Free Diet, Organic, Vegetarian
|Our Price £0.99 (£0.25 per 100g)|
|Goodness Whole Brown Lentils, Canada/Turkey 500g|
A standard Indian lentil with a mild earthy flavour
|Our Price £1.78 (£0.36 per 100g)|
|Biona Organic Chick Peas in Water 400g|
Ready to use chickpeas in water with no added anything. An extremely versatile source of carbs and protein
Organic, Vegan, Vegetarian
|Our Price £0.99 (£0.25 per 100g)|
|Goodness Organic Aduki Beans (Adzuki), 500g|
Aduki beans are small, reddish-brown beans with a white ridge along one edge. Cooked, they have a sweet, nutty flavour. They originated in China but are also popular in Japan.
|Our Price £2.20 (£0.44 per 100g)|
|Biona Organic Rice Cakes with Quinoa 100g|
Gluten Free, Organic, Vegetarian
|Our Price £1.15 (£1.15 per 100g)|